There are many hidden gems in the Black Hills National Forest. Some of these unique places would take a full day to hike to, but are completely accessible by ATV/UTV travel. Kids are welcome, too (see the safety rules below)! But before you head out on some amazing trails (we like Black Hills ATV Destination’s list of favorite trails), there are a few things to know:
- ATV/UTV travel is allowed on designated trails, roads and highways. It must be registered and licensed. If you live in a state where your ATV/UTV cannot be licensed, you can obtain a special road travel permit from any South Dakota county courthouse. Check ahead to see what conditions are required to get the temporary permit.
- You will need to display a valid Black Hills Motorized Trail Permit for riding an ATV/UTV on designated motorized trails.
- You do not need a driver’s license to operate an ATV/UTV UNLESS operated on a public roadway.
- Safety first, please! If your off road vehicle does not have a windshield, eye protection is required. Helmets are a good idea for everyone, but are required for users under 18 years of age.
- Not sure where to go? There’s an app for that! Download the AVENZA PDF MAPS APP on your smart phone. Once downloaded, search for BLACK HILLS NATIONAL FOREST. We are in the NORTHERN HILLS RANGER DISTRICT.